Eyries Against Chain Letters
Join the fight, and break the chains.
Greetings, guest. I am Darrow97, or commonly known as Darrow. I am the pet of Tigermaster38, aka Tiger. Tiger and I are working on my petpage to make a guide for all Neopians. What is it about? The DANGERS and AWFULNESS of Chain Letters. We only wish to provide information to honest Neopians. We have started a little club we call E.A.C.H., which stands for Eyries Against Chain Letters. You don't have to be an Eyrie to join, and no applications or Neomail is involved. All you need is to tell Neopians of this page, to protect them from Chain Letters.
WHAT ARE CHAIN LETTERS?
Chain Letters are a menace. They are a collection of typing that has disappointed players, and gotten them a warning from TNT and other users. Most people who try Chain Letters are INNOCENT USERS that mean no harm. All they want is the "promise" of Neopoints, Paint Brushes, and Happiness that chain letters offer. Here is an example of a chain letter that I have found many times while browsing the NeoBoards:
copy and paste this to 10 DIFFERENT boards then go straight to your active neopet's web-page and you will find 6,000,000,000,000 neopoints in the bank and 5 of EVERY kind of paint-brush! it has worked for EVERYONE so far
Now, obviously this letter does not work. I shall explain the problems and faults of this message in the next section. Please scroll down, and read what is possibly the most important part of this page .
WHAT IS WRONG WITH CHAIN LETTERS?
As seen above, Chain Letters seem glorious, but if one takes the time to read them, they are just many filthy lies brought together. I have compiled a list of things wrong with this particular chain letter. If you see anything that I have overlooked, or know of a different chain letter, please do not hesitate to Neomail Tiger with the info.
What is wrong and why:
6,000,000,000,000 neopoints in the bank
Pronounced "six trillion". 6 trillion is an impossible figure. After doing some research, it appears that the maximum amount of Neopoints a user can have, in total, is just about 2.1 billion (due to the limits of the MySQL database, if this is an erroneous statement please Neomail me with a correction). Also, any Neopoints that appear in the bank that were not earned by you are most likely there due to a glitch. Glitched Neopoints should not be used.
5 of EVERY kind of paint-brush!
5 may seem like a small number, but considering that there's over 50 different paint brushes, your inventory would be flooded and your Safety Deposit Box full. And really, what would you do with that many brushes? You can only have four pets at a time, and, if you did obtain those brushes from the [evil and untrue] chain letters, sending them to other accounts or friends would put your account in jeopardy of being frozen. Don't do it.
it has worked for EVERYONE so far
This is absurdly wrong. If chain letters worked, everyone would have painted pets, Paint Brushes would be worth just 1 Neopoint, no one would have to beg, the prices of EVERYTHING would go down because people could buy whatever they wanted, everyone would have all those rare avatars they wanted, and NeoBoards would be filled with Chain Letters. It would be very, very destructive. And hey, what about bragging rights? I'd rather earn the Neopoints myself and be proud of my hard work and painted pets than take an easy way out and cheat to get them.
Here is another chain letter. I found this on May 6, 2005 on the Avatar boards:
A girl died in 1933 by a homicidal murderer. He buried her in the ground when she was still alive. The murderer chanted, "Toma sota balcu" as he buried her. Now that you have read the chant, you will meet this little girl in the middle of the night. She will suffocate you like she was suffocated. If you post this, she will not bother you. Your kindness will be rewarded.
- This is subjective to opinion, but in my book, ghosts aren't real. And why would she choose humble Neopians as victims to haunt? If anything I'd expect the ghost of a homicide victim to haunt the murderer, not innocent people playing on online virtual pet site.
- You may ask, "Tiger, what does 'Toma Sota Balcu' mean?" And my response is: not a thing. In fact, after some web browsing, I learned that the entire story written in the chain letter is a myth; an urban legend. The Neoboards are not the only site to be introduced to this chain letter It's been -everywhere-. Which leads into my next point...
- The ghost of a girl cannot possibly haunt every single person who reads the message. It's probably been read hundreds of times on the Neoboards, and I can't imagine the amount of people that generally browse boards/forums that read this. By the way, I'm writing this in 2011. I first read that chain letter over 6 years ago, and I'm still alive! So are the several thousand other people that have read this petpage.
Here is a chain letter I found on June 5th on the Avatar Chat boards:
HI POST THIS MESSAGE IN 50 BOARDS U WILL GET 2000,000NP AND 1 OF EVERY TYPE OF PAINT BRUSH THIS IS APPROVED BY THE INVENTOR OF NEOPETS AND IS NOT A SCAM
- I'd like to point out the 50 boards is quite a hefty number. Now onto more criticism.
- 2000,000? Typo there. Also, this specific chain letter is very poorly written and I wouldn't put my trust in a message like that. I'll write intelligently, thank you.
- So many paint Brushes. We come back again to the Neopets economy. Such an overflow of Paint Brushes would crash everything. And those rare, exotic pet colors will lose that extra sheen they have and leave many users disappointed.
- I don't think Adam and Donna approve of this. They do specify in the rules that Chain Letters are not allowed. If it's in the rules, abide by it. TNT won't freeze you, and you get to continue to enjoy Neopets. Everybody's happy!
Some people say, "Well TNT just doesn't want us to get rich and be happy!" But if TNT didn't want you to get rich, then they'd take away the game section! So this means Chain letters are also nasty, icky stuff that we call SPAM! And spam is bad, people.
copy and paste this message into ten other boreds and then go to your inventory and you will see 50 baby paint brushes. this was approved bt the neopets team and has worked for every one so far
Horrible grammar and spelling. I'd be embarrassed to post this message on a forum.
- No no, little spammer, TNT no like chain letters. ;)
- Well, not everyone has a Baby Paint brush now, do they? And Boochi would be out of a job!
Ok this is verry hard but when you get there you will be happy. Press the shift button 5 times and a message will come up. Hit cancle. then go to the pet centrel page and right click. then press view source. when your on that page press crlt † F and type in Explore. When a thing comes up copy it. then go to the avatar page and create a topic for the title type in your screen
name on neopets.
- Ok, I really have very little to say about this one, other than that it sounds stupid, and it IS stupid. It's so ridiculously impossible..I'm not a computer programmer, but I KNOW stuff like that won't work. I'd also be afraid I was being directed to do something that might be malicious to my computer.
THE NEXT STEP: INFORM OTHERS
Well, I tried to make this page as informative as possible without making it lengthy. I hope you know that CHAIN LETTERS DON'T WORK after reading this page. Now, please take the time to tell others about this page. Post a link in your signature or lookup. Put up the banner, just get the point across: CHAIN LETTERS DON'T WORK!!.
If you have anything else you would like to add to this one, (or any other comments, in fact) please, don't be shy to send me a Neomail! :D I don't bite unless you're acting n00bish, and chances are you'll help out and protect Neopia against Chain Letters, too! Send me a comment about a certain chain letter, and I'll be thrilled to put the comment here and give you credit for it. ;)
THANKS FOR COMING!!
Page started: February 22, 2005
Ok, as promised, here's a banner. Put it in your shop, guild, lookup, or whatever.
Here's the code you put in the page.
Here's another banner, thanks go to TheLoneTiel for making the banner for me: